ObiRay+Blog

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Everyone can be an art critic, so can you!

Just been to the "Artist and Their Model" exhibition at Art GAllery today. It's an exhibiton that, in my opinion, so roughly set up with various protrait painting from Musee National d'Art Moderne (龐比度). My girl had a very hard time in the show, trying very hard to understand what's going on... and what's the "center theme" of the show. Judging by the fact that it's all protraits, and most are from the period between 1850 - 2000, I can say the range of works are so vary in subject matter and styles.... indeed, I'm more than agree that the show lacks a theme. Curation is in such a mass that it tries to guide audience with topics such as "distortion" or even an unspecific "vision" umbrella.

I tried to pick out that, if this show is all about protrait, then the best way to see, to learn, to appreciate the work is through thinking the relationship between the artist and their models, just as what the exhibiton titles asked for.

With my 4 years studying visual art (from year 9 to year12, thanks to Mrs Alon at St Patrick's), I've been to many art exhibitons at Sydney's Art Gallery of NSW and Camberra's National Gallery of Art, got to see art pieces from Renaissance masters, to my favourite Romanticism, to modern and even contemporary works. I learnt that everyone can interpret the same piece of art differently, depends upon the education and experience that ones obtained. For most of the time, without any tour guides, curation booklet, and audio headsets, the audiences only hint to guess an artwork's message is through its title given by the artists himself. Though, with knowledge on the artist's upbringing and periodic background, they may learn some insights on the artist's personal history and emotional mindset, and even a side record of mankind history.


What I am trying to say is that, whenever you try to appreciate an artwork without outside help, all you can do is asking:
a) What's the art piece is showing? Any color? Any form? Any mood?
b) Is what's showing in sync with title? Does the title hints something more?
c) Is there some hidden symbology, or iconic graphic to help enhancing the message?
Keep the cycle to see if the artist is trying to send you a message, if not, then,
d) Is the artist message was intended to show for someone else, if then, who is he/she trying to communicate to, and what is the message?

I remembered the joy and excitement when I got the time to wander through Sydney's gallery, on a weekday afternoon, alone by myself. Cross-fold my arms and try to appreciate every pieces in the hall. Sometimes I got afraid with sculpture and I am more comfortable with paintings. But with the above questions in mind, there's always rooms to get inspired.

Everyone can be an art critic, so can you!


side note: Captioned from HK magazine, bidding the last day of Central Star Ferry pier with the following poem....

A Ferry Farewell
Oh, Star Ferry, I hear you're moving home
To somewhere far away, all on your own
Getting there is going to be such a to-do
I guess we'll be seeing a lot less of you
Those snapping pictures as you cross the water
Will have to be fast as the journey's much shorter
At $2.20, you're still a good deal
But to reach you now, we'll need a good meal!
After this weekend, you won't be so near
Only tourists will trudge to your distant pier
And when they get there, what will they find?
A pseudo-pastiche that brings Disney to mind
Oh, Star Ferry, we were such a pair!
I loved your green-and-white style and your flip-back chair
But now I'm afraid that this is farewell
It's too far to run for your digital bell.

No comments: